The Rhizome Collaborative is growing! We are seeking an experienced WordPress framework developer to work with us on a freelance basis. We are all about the WordPress Block Editor and welcome a dev who loves to build and maintain clean, beautiful websites and help empower our clients with a great admin experience.
We believe in a work-life balance for all our collaborators. With that in mind, we’re looking for someone who can help us divvy-up and share the workload. Our needs are two-fold. Your primary role will be to help our project manager respond to requests from customers by adding new blocks, updating older ones, styling elements, troubleshooting, vetting plugins, documenting technical details, and always making sure security is a top priority. Second, we are in need of someone who can become a backup for one of our other developers when the need arises.
Time on projects will vary. We’re looking for a commitment of roughly 15-25 hours per month. Depending on experience, this position pays between $45-60/hr. Rates are negotiable depending on experience.
We typically build custom themes and plugins for the sites we work on. We are looking for someone that can help maintain and extend our existing sites and collaborate on new projects as they come in. Our ideal candidate is someone who:
- has solid knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem, uses WordPress best practices, knows how to vet a plugin, can troubleshoot and resolve plugin conflicts
- is excited about working within the modern WordPress development framework: we may ask for your help tweaking/extending themes that make heavy use of the Block Editor (theme.json, custom styles, variations, and patterns)
- has experience integrating/extending WordPress plugins into existing WordPress sites
- has enough React knowledge to work on custom blocks: we may ask you to modify and/or extend blocks that we have created (or create new ones)
- can troubleshoot and resolve bugs submitted by clients
- has knowledge of accessibility best practices
We are a small, Pacific Northwest creative studio rooted in brand, communication, and content-forward online experiences. Dovetail your skills with ours and be part of a team that is committed to working in the spaces of technology, environment, science, education, public institutions, food, healthcare, manufacturing, government, unions and the arts. To really understand who we are, feel free to explore our core values. They represent the heart and soul of our organization.
This is the perfect position for a freelancer, who is looking to pick up a little more work. We understand you may have other clients. That’s okay, we like that! It means you may have experience you can bring to our table and vice versa. We embrace knowledge and are passionate about learning. We hope you love to learn too!
Know that some of our clients are unions, so this is a position for a U.S. based individual, (preferably west coast) who is organized, enthusiastic, communicative, and works well remotely. We are a certified, woman-owned business enterprise in the state of Washington and we’re committed to creating a diverse environment. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives and accessibility are a big part of the work we do for our clients. Our goals are no different. We wish to maintain an inclusive, safe, and engaging environment for anyone who collaborates with us. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.